Since these pictures are all in the wrong order, I will write according to their order rather than trying to reload them all. This is what I pulled from the garden this morning, because as I mentioned earlier I am too chicken to brave the pea rows without Ryan. This is what I could muster up the courage to retrieve!
This next picture is of a tomato plant, interestingly the "Early Girl" variety which should bear earlier fruit. This young lady has been frustration for me since day 1. I have mercifully allowed this plant to continue to take up space hoping that it would produce tomatoes at some point. We planted, watered, fertilized, and even pulled a giant horn worm off the branches. She looked so pretty and green at one point, even put on flowers, but never one iota of fruit! I understand more fully now the meaning of pulling the branch that bears no fruit! After all that work, it is useless to me.
"Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away..." ~John 15:2
As I continued through, my thoughts turned and hope swelled as I looked at the okra, continuing to stretch and grow and produce veggies! Of all the things growing, this plant brings me the greatest joy! It's my first time to grow okra, and I've been fascinated by it. If you can look closely, you can see how along the central stalk there are all these little stumps where the okra has been cut off and the new growth is on the top. Every other day I go out and cut off big beautiful pieces of okra, and the next day there are these lovely flowers smiling at me first thing in the morning, and new okra are already growing!
"...and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit." ~ John 15:2
More of the same for the black-eyed peas. I would have just left them alone, all gangly and overgrown, but my wise farmer husband has been pruning them as well to encourage more production of peas. It totally worked! Pruning is a wonderful thing for these plants. And I hate seeing that because I know it works in my own heart the same way. When God allows hard times, difficult circumstances, or maybe takes something away, I know that it is with hope that I will grow and bear more fruit. So hard to see sometimes, but now I have a daily reminder in my own backyard - literally!
"By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples." ~John 15:8
May it be so.

2 comments:
what a great post. love you friend.
Whew. I'm actually crying. You have NO idea how I needed to be reminded of His goodness through pruning and hard times. Thank you, sweet friend. Love you.
Post a Comment