Saturday, July 3, 2010

Veggies

At the risk of officially being the world's most boring blogger, I have to post an update on the garden, one of my little joys. We have had probably about 20 little cherry tomatoes off one plant, with many more to come! This little guy really outdid himself. So cool to eat stuff we planted and God grew!
Some Roma tomatoes... not the prettiest shapes like you see in the store, but way tastier!
Our first official black-eyed pea pod! I am so excited and can't wait to harvest these... they are my favorite! My Grandmother always grew them and I just can't imagine a summer without them. Now that she lives in Texas and her garden is getting smaller each year, I think it's my job to pick up where she left off in the pea producing industry!
Okay, here is my dilemma... The pea rows have gotten so big and bushy that I am too squeemish to shimmy in between the rows to check for pods. I'm hoping my big hunky farmer husband will help me conquer my fear and do the dirty work! However I will scream loud if a grasshopper or toad jumps out at me, and I will run like a little girl all the way to the porch! ;o) And just for the record the white dust is poison dust to kill the monster of a grasshopper that has been busy munching the leaves of the peas...jerk! Today I clobbered a juicy caterpillar that I caught on a tomato plant. Did you know their guts are dark green?!? Gross!
This is my garden this year. It's hard to tell from this picture, but the "tendrils" of the peas are at least as tall as our fence. Kind of gangly-looking from a distance, but a beautiful sight to my eyes and grocery budget!

2 comments:

danielle said...

dara! first of all, not a boring post at all.. i was cracking up.. envisioning your scream and run. however, i am sure i would do much the same thing. secondly, your garden is IMPRESSIVE. way to go my friend, way to go!

Ana said...

bahahaaaa!!! clobbering poor fat little caterpillars !! lol I can't clobber anything lol I trap bees and hornets n cups and set them outside LOL your garden looks awesome!!! I did container plants this year,tomato,green peppers,chives.

great job!!